This delicious recipe for cod & potatoes au gratin comes from my dear friend and amazing Chef, Joelma Celestrini. It involves layering thinly sliced potatoes and shredded cod with a flavorful cream in a baking dish, and then baking until the cream thickens and blankets the potatoes in a rich, creamy sauce. Its a simple and easy to make dish, with the healthy dose of cheese and heavy cream, making it the ultimate comfort food!
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Total Time: 1:10 Hour
- 2-1/2 pounds of potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 pounds of cod fillet, or haddock, shredded
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Nutmeg to taste
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 3 cups of heavy cream at room temperature, or enough to cover the layers of potatoes and fish
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC/350ºF.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them thinly (6-7 mm).
- Shred the fish and slice the onions.
- Arrange the potato slices, edges overlapping, in a single layer on the bottom a baking dish. Then cover the potatoes with the shredded fish and sliced onions, forming the second layer. Alternate layers and finish with a potato layer. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the heavy cream, grated parmesan, nutmeg, black pepper and salt. Stir the mixture until it becomes fully incorporated. If you want to thicken the cream a little bit, add a pinch of cornstarch.
- Cover the potato/fish layers with the cream. Sprinkle grated parmesan (or generously because why not) on top. Bake for 50 minutes, until the potatoes are golden and crusty.
- Serve with rice or by itself.